Thursday, September 1, 2011

A birth story, Baby Girl Howell: Nashvillle Birth Photographer {Middle TN birth photographer}

I got a call  from Jenny about 9 months ago saying she just found out she was pregnant and would I be interested in photographing her birth? Of course, I was thrilled and told her I would be honored (I was just sad that I had to wait 9 months to do it. Ha ha ha). I had photographed her son several times and I was beyond excited to be able to photograph such a profound experience.

Originally, Jenny and Josh opted for a C-section since Jenny had some pretty big complications with their first child. I had today blocked out on my calendar in anticipation, but a few days ago they decided to nix the surgery and go for a vaginal delivery. I was stoked that I would actually be able to witness the birth (I would not have been allowed in the OR).

Jenny and I talked several times this week in preparation and I told her to let me know when she was 6 centimeters so I could make the 30 minute drive to the hospital. I got that text today at 11:51AM. I grabbed my gear and told her I would be on my way soon. At 12:31PM, Jenny texted me again and said she was 10cm and I freaked out. I was still 5 minutes away and knew I would have to park and find my way through the hospital. I flew through the halls and got to the room about 25 minutes before she started pushing. I had not seen Jenny or Josh in about 2 years since I photographed their son for his birthday. Jenny was so calm and collected--you'd never know she was moments away from giving birth. Josh's nerves were rattled a bit, but as soon as it was time to meet his daughter he was ready to roll...

















 Nothing compares to this moment...

1:19PM





Josh cuts the cord.











7lb. 8oz.  and 20 in.















 Time for her first bath...








Big brother Colton arrives in his scrubs. He is ready to meet his little sister...









Jenny and Josh--thank you so, so very much for allowing me to be a part of your birth experience. I am so grateful you trusted me to be involved in such an intimate moment of your lives. It was amazingly beautiful to witness. Baby girl had some amazing parents and I so excited for your family. I can't wait to do her newborn session next week. Hopefully, by then you have settled on a name for that gorgeous girl.  ;)

Welcome to the world
Baby Girl Howell!!







20 comments:

The Good Family said...

WOW! Congrats to all, including you Brooke! What an amazing experience. Beautiful pictures, beautiful family! Now why didn't I think to take a picture of the clock or the stats chart during my delivery?? :)

Kate Andrews said...

That is what makes you SO amazing! I could NEVER do that!! These are beautiful and tasteful and sweet shots and it will be something they can actually remember, as things get a little hectic and crazy in there sometimes, but you made it seem very peaceful and beautiful!! BRAVA!!

chesley said...

AMAZING!!! love these!!!

Ann-Marie Sutherland said...

Absolutely amazing pictures!! They say a thousand words!

What an absolutely perfectly beautiful little girl. Congrats to this family!!

Unknown said...

Being your best friend, I have witnessed you photograph many life moments - weddings, newborns, engagement, etc but this takes the cake...what an amazing experience. I am so excited and can't wait for you to hopefully document this moment for me.

WOW is all I have...

Love you.

(For the record - I am NOT pregnant)

Kate (McAnally) Andrews said...

Good to know!!!
I WAS wondering! :)

Lindsay Race said...

I am in absolute awe of these pictures, why oh why didn't i think to have you do a birth session for me?!?! What a beautiful little girl and precious family, congrats to them!! :)

Kate said...

Wow Brooke. You made Dave and I both tear up (and now have us considering another baby lol) Beautiful job. Congrats to the new family

Anonymous said...

Totally just spilled a few tears! How amazing! Great job Brooke!! We are so doing this......when that time comes...further down the road!!!

Shannon Alley

Lindsey Campbell said...

Umm... this was beautiful! Totally want to do this, but for now...congrats to the beautiful new precious family!

Danielle Davis said...

Amazing! This is just beautiful! I will be booking this session next time around! :)

Carrie said...

Incredible!!! You are incredible!!! These pictures are amazingly wonderful! I know Jenny and Josh will treasure these forever!! Wonderful!!!!Great to see you today as well!

Jennifer said...

truly captured in beauty. Makes be so excited for baby number 2 !!!

Nicole Elliott said...

Wow - congrats on getting to capture a miracle. What an amazing event and moment they shared with you.
The images are breathtaking.
Love you!

Candy Howard said...

Just amazing. Really. Every detail. Every emotion. Complete perfection. Stellar job, and congrats to the family!

Brooke Kelly Photography said...

Thanks everyone--it was definitely an all around awesome experience.

Susannah Wood said...

Beautiful pictures of an incredible experience!

Shannon Nelson Photography said...

Flying you to wherever I am if we have another one. You are gonna make attempt a VBAC just for pics :-)

Krista Lee said...

Great job!!! These are amazing~!!!!!

Jen Bowles said...

Amazing & beautiful Brooke!